Guthrie Parish Church
A two hundred year old kirk, sitting next to a the remains of a medieval collegiate church now owned by the local clan
The present church on this site was built in 1826, to a Thomas Telford design, next to the remaining fragment of a 15th century collegiate church, the Guthrie Aisle, erected around 1464 by Sir David Guthrie of that ilk.
The two hundred year old rectangular church has a simple, restful interior, with painted wooden pews leading to the carved Communion Table and pulpit at the east end.
There are a number of memorials on the wall and two stained glass windows. ‘The Good Shepherd’ window was installed in 1920, commemorating the Dickson family, and ‘The Sower’, created by local artist John Blyth and commemorating the Guthrie family members who settled in California during the 1849 gold rush. The latter window has the Guthrie coat of arms on it and bears the inscription “Some seeds fell on good ground and increased one hundred fold.”
The church was sold in 2025 by the Church of Scotland to the Guthrie Clan who formed a SCIO with the objective of keeping the building open and developing it as a cultural hub for the local community. Plans are being put in place to open the church for occasional services and regular open days and to make it available for hire for weddings, funerals and other events.
Scotland's Churches Trust does not own any of the buildings listed in this directory and cannot assist with enquiries relating to any individual churches, these must be sent to the churches themselves. While we cannot be held responsible for any errors, do please let us know if you spot any and we will update the relevant page just as soon as we can.
Opening Arrangements
Open by arrangement
Denomination
Former Church of Scotland now owned by a charitable trust
Local Authority
Angus
Listing
B
